The 1865 Exhibit
Some of the most dramatic events in Richmond’s history occurred during three days in April 1865 when the city fell to the Union Army after four years of civil war. As the Union Army marched down Broad Street, Confederates evacuated while enslaved Richmonders gained their freedom.
These events are memorialized on a bridge overlooking the James River. Quotes, images and views of the remains of Civil War-era bridges bring back the extraordinary events of the war’s end.
- A series of markers are incorporated into the James River overlook on the northwest corner of Brown’s Island.
- The exhibit can be reached from Tredegar Street near South 5th Street.
- More than 22 historic markers are within walking distance of the Turning Basin and Riverfront Canal Walk.
Along the Riverfront Canal Walk, a public park open from dawn to dusk