Great Shiplock Park
The great lock connected the James River with the Richmond Dock, completing the James River and Kanawha Canal system that bypassed seven miles of falls and continued 197 miles through Virginia’s western mountain ranges. This park is the lowest of the historic Kanawha Canal locks with an interpretive display.
- The lock was built between 1850 and 1854.
- The park offers great fishing off Chapel Island.
- The fishery in this area is influenced, in late March through early June, by anadromous fish, which are migrating from salt water to fresh water on their annual spawning runs.
Opens at sunrise and closes at sunset
Pear and Dock Streets
Richmond, Virginia 23223